Friday, February 14, 2014

Valentine's Day....one of earth's silliest and frivolous holidays

I bet by reading the title you believe I am single. Am I right? Well guess what, I will not be celebrating Single's Awareness Day, I like getting flowers from my husband as much as the next girl and I still think it's kind of a dumb holiday.

Why? It's simple. If you are married you should live your life tied to the person you love every day. You should show them you love them with little gestures of romance often, not just on anniversaries and a fake holiday designed to make you pay for chocolates, flowers and lingerie.

If you are single, well it's just a day like all the rest of them, minus the fact that attached people like rubbing your face in all the love and saying "oh look how sweet my lover is for sending me flowers at work." Too bad for you....

I am a big social media nut, but today will I post about how wonderful my spouse is? Will I post pictures of the flowers he gave me? Or a post saying thanks for dinner honey? No. For the exact reasons I've stated above.

Do I love my husband? Of course. Am I grateful for the things he does for me and I do for him on Valentine's Day? Of course. But, I am not going to support a holiday that teaches men that flowers are only necessary once or maybe twice a year? Am I going to support a holiday where kids make valentine's only for their friends and the other kids in their class because they are told they have to? No.

Everything I do comes from the heart. I have learned that if I do anything otherwise, I kind of start to go crazy. Trust me, it's been happening a lot lately.

So take it from me, love the way you want to love and not the way the media, calendar or Hallmark card tells you that you should.




No comments:

Post a Comment