Monday, February 10, 2014

The Olympics, the REALLY LONG version of the Super Bowl

Let me start by saying I am not a huge fan of the Olympics. Yes, I know I am getting griped about as you read. I have also never been a huge fan of the Super Bowl, except for the fact that it means friends and food.

Part of the reason for the lack of fandom is because neither one was a big event at my house. We never watched the Super Bowl and we only watched a few of the events as the super bowl, all of which were figure skating.

I get that great athletes compete at these events, athletes who have spent a lifetime trying to get where they are now. However, that doesn't mean I like to spend every week night watching bob sledding or skating, even though I am probably the only one.

I much rather watch dramatic or comedy tv shows and escape to a fantasy land. Maybe part of that is because I cover sports as part of my job these days. Sports has become work, rather than just voluntary fun.

I do enjoy covering games as a journalist and especially trying to get that one picture that sums up the emotions of the sport, all in one shot. But, I think it's like people who paint for a living or people who watch movies for a living. It's just no longer that thing you do to relax and has become a mandatory part of life.

I rather not watch a week-long version of the Super Bowl, and if that means I am out of touch when people are talking about last night's winner, well, so be it.

But if you invite me over for some food and give me a chance to visit with a friend, well count me in, sports or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment