Monday, February 24, 2014

Oscar Predictions 2014

If you are coming to my complex on Sunday, turn around now you big cheats and don't go any further!!!

Some get into the Super Bowl, some get into the Olympics, but I get into awards season. I know it seems a little vapid and unimportant to some, but I think it's a load of fun.

You get to dress up nice if you want, you can make a nice dinner and get together with friends. Plus, you are talking about movies, so what do you have to lose? (assuming you have seen at least some of them.)

I am in the middle of preparing for the big event, so here are my winning predictions and the reasons behind them (at least for the big ones). You can all laugh after the show is over. Yes, if I have time I will be live tweeting because I am a nerd like that. So, sit tight folks, this is going to be a long one.

Best Picture- 12 Years a Slave
I really think this is a no-brainer win. The others that I have seen were good, but 12 Years A Slave also won the Golden Globes for a drama, so I think it's got a pretty darn good shot. Plus dramas seem to go farther at the Oscars than comedies do, so American Hustle, which won at the Golden Globes for best comedy will fall short. Regardless of the fact that 12 Years is kind of slow moving, it is moving. You walk out of the theater changed which I think it the big sign of a good film.

I have no idea why American Hustle or the Wolf of Wall Street was even nominated. They were both terrible.

Best Actor in a Leading Role- Matthew McConaughey
Why? Well, I haven't seen the movie, but both SAG and the Golden Globes seemed to think it was worth it, so I doubt he will be passed up. Even though I really do think that Chiwetel Ejiofor deserves it more. But, I don't think anyone will forget what he did. I think he will have his opportunity again. McConaughey may not if he goes back to chick flicks, which deep down, I hope he does.

Best Actress in a Leading Role- Cate Blanchett
I have not seen Blue Jasmine, but she was recognized at both the SAG awards and the Globes, so I think she's got a really good shot. She is a fantastic actress and I believe it's time she had more lime light thrust her way.

Judi Dench and Meryl Streep are both really good contenders because of their extensive skills, but they have both won so many, I think it's time for them to step back. Sometimes I think those two get nominated, because if they aren't, it would be considered offensive.

Best Actor in a Supporting Role- Jared Leto
Again, recognition at both recent awards leads me to believe Oscar is in Leto's future. Plus he had his super hot teenage phase and got past it somewhat normal, got a load of crappy roles in the past and was fat for a long time. It's time he was golden. Anyone who can gain or lose that much for a role at some point during his career, deserves something at some point!

Best Actress in a Supporting Role- Lupita Nyong'o 
The Globes passed her up, but the SAG awards didn't. Good for them. Let's hope the academy won't either and that they will see though the holograph that is Jennifer Lawrence and see what I saw. An incredible actress that moved me to tears. Lawrence is good, but her year was in Silver Linings last year. American Hustle's performance falls far behind.

Animated Feature Film- Frozen
Again, a guaranteed winner. If it doesn't, it's just for shock or strange artistic value. Frozen has been a top box office seller for a good chunk of 13-14. Plus the music is great, no matter how overdone covers have been on it. It can relate to anyone, trust me.

Cinematography- Gravity
Costume Design- The Great Gatsby
Directing- Alfonso Cuaron
Documentary Feature- The Act of Killing
Documentary Short Subject- The Lady in Number 6: Music Saved My life
Film Editing- 12 Years a Slave
Foreign Language Film- The Great Beauty
Hair styling and Makeup- Dallas Buyers Club
Music, Original Score- Saving Mr. Banks
Music- Original Song- Ordinary Love from Mandela, a long walk to freedom
Production Design- The Great Gatsby
Short Film Animated- Feral 
Short Film Live Action- Helium
Sound Editing- Gravity
Sound Mixing- Captain Phillips
Visual Effects- The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug
Adapted Screenplay- Philomena
Original Screenplay- Her





No comments:

Post a Comment