Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Springfield tragedy brings caution to mind

For the last 24 hours my social media pages as well as local television stations have been flooded with the story of Hailey Owens, a girl who was abducted and murdered her right here in the heartland of America on Tuesday night.

It's a sad story and I know many Springfield area residents (myself included) are saddened and almost shocked by the idea that this can happen so close to home.

I reminds me though, that even over the fact that I believe most people are generally good, there are a lot of terrible people out there who would hurt something as pure and as beautiful as a young, innocent child.

I think overall that Christians are very trusting people, sometimes too trusting. I don't know if Owen's family was religious or not, and I am of course, not putting any blame on the family. But, I think in general that as Missourians we are primarily mid-western Christians and that overall, Missourians  are probably too trusting in people. Of course, I have also seen the opposite. But, I know many people who don't lock their cars because they grew up on a farm in mid-Missouri and don't think anyone would steal from them, or people who allow their kids to play outdoors without supervision.

I think this little girl's life lost will serve as a reminder that life is precious and that sometimes, if you let your guard down, someone can snatch everything good and sacred in your life away from you.

So, basically, live life to the fullest and for goodness sake, lock your doors and watch your children like a hawk. I know I will be for the rest of my son's lifetime.




No comments:

Post a Comment