Thursday, February 6, 2014

Religion, marriage and rapping?

I am all about originality. But, people, a rap about marriage? Come on! It's just too much for me.

Marriage Rap Video can be viewed here

I believe in a lot of things about marriage based on my own experience from 5 years and 3 months of being married.

1) It's not always easy
2) The belief that marriage is forever is very important to making a union last.
3) Every marriage can be a beautiful and sacred thing, whether you are religious or not. However, religion can be something that binds you.

The reason that many believe that religion is the most important thing in marriage is because it can be a huge argument issue, if it's important to one spouse but not the other. But, I do know that you don't always have to have the same thoughts on religion.

My mother and father have been married for 26 years, both of which went through a divorce prior to meeting each other. My mother's marriage was based on religion, but it didn't work (for multiple reasons, which I think are not my story to tell).

When my parents got married he was Methodist, she a Latter-Day Saint (aka Mormon). It still worked. Why? Because they loved each other and they both knew that the other partner would do anything they could to make it work. They respected each other, even though at times they haven't always agreed on certain issues.

Now, this rap I speak of, is totally ridiculous. I have seen people say "It's the marriage video each young couple should watch before saying 'I Do,'" and things like "It's powerful," and "It's beautiful."

I have always been one to believe that religion needs to be sacred. If you believe God is real and that he is a Holy being who should be treated with respect and love, well, then rap isn't the way to do it.

No offense to all you rap lovers out there, but to me, it has always represented either something inappropriate or something comical. Neither one of those emotions fit with religion if you are religious.

In addition, the video is basically saying that no marriage can survive without God. I wouldn't have met my husband without my religion and I wouldn't be where I am today. That doesn't mean that I should invalidate someone's marriage because that's not how they found their "happily ever after."

So please, don't waste you time sharing this "crap rap." It's nothing but disrespectful towards the religious and non-religious alike. Unless maybe rap is the only thing that speaks to you, and then, you need to "branch out," as my dad always said.

*Editors Note- My dad did join the Mormon Church 2 years ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment