Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Superhero movies: Just a bit overrated

I have always considered myself a fan of superhero movies for the most part. I love X-Men, Spiderman (minus the Tobey McGuire emo moment in the trilogy, through it was worth a good laugh), and Batman. Even as a kid I enjoyed these cartoons on TV, the older films and the comic books, however I think the movies of late have gone WAY downhill. 

I will say I was a huge fan of The Dark Knight Rises and even a bit of The Amazing Spiderman. Christopher Nolan really outdid himself on tying the entire Christian Bale trilogy together. In fact, if anyone asked me The Dark Knight Rises would be among one of my all time favorite movies, maybe even in the top 10 or 20. 

Apparently though, lots of people out there liked the Iron Man trilogy, which I found boring with not a great story line and The Avengers, which I consider totally pointless. I can't believe Robert Downey Jr. made $50 million for pulling of the same usual junk that he always does throughout each and every movie he acts in.

 Don't even get me started on the likes of The Green Lantern, The Green Hornet, The Fantastic Four and the like. Those films just wanted to make me barf. 

How could I relate to the likes of Tony Stark, Thor or The Hulk? Simple, I can't. A friend of mine would probably say it's because I like that "chickflick crap," but I think it's because the story has to have some emotion to it. Maybe those films are aimed to a fully male audience, scientists who want to be recognized for their lifesaving work or women who are expected to gush over Chris Hemsworth and his muscles. 

It's too bad these movies are being overdone and ruined. In this day and age while we are all struggling with financial difficulties and the like, the idea of a super hero is kind of nice. I guess I better not write my own comic book anytime soon. Chances are some producer or movie director would ruin it. 







No comments:

Post a Comment