Sunday, May 26, 2013

Overachiever and moochers

Yesterday as I was taking a jog around the inside of my courtyard that is closed in by my circular apartment complex, I noticed some real geniuses taking advantage of the Memorial Day weekend.

There is a couple I often see around who has tattoos and wears torn up clothes. Now, before now I haven't judged them. I mean, if you don't have money to wear nice clothes, don't want to take the time to go to the store to pick out new ones, just like the outfits better you have now or are a cheapskate, I get it.

I hardly ever buy new clothes. Why? 1) I am a cheapskate. 2) I am not rolling in the cash. 3) I really hate the idea of buying new clothes until I lose weight. (I did give in recently and buy a pair of pants, two dresses and a pair of shoes).

Also- I think tattoos last forever and will look saggy when they are old, but if you want to get one that is your business. I had a roommate who had one on her foot that was the date her brother died in a car accident. To her, it is a reminder of his life and who he was. Each member of their immediate family has the same one. If you want to get a tattoo, that is your thing and I am fine with it.

But I have to admit, yesterday I did judge them a bit. The guy was leaning over a mini-grill where he had just poured lighter fluid. He was trying to light the charcoal grill and he had a cigarette in his mouth. His cigarette was about five inches away from the grill (no joke!) Maybe he was trying to kill two birds with one light so to speak?

I did notice that there wasn't anyone celebrating the weekend in the pool. Oh, that's right, IT'S NOT OPEN YET! I guess it doesn't open until June 1st now because of some new regulations. Of course, that hasn't stopped people from sort of inviting themselves over. Not that I don't want to see them, or have them over. I just like how people who haven't had time to hang out or call me for anything in the past 6 months, ask me if they can come swim. Multiple friends and family mention it.

I mean, I get it, but it is just a bit irritating. It's like when people constantly ask to borrow a truck to move or people ask for free advice  from people who make their living on that advice (etc psychiatrists, doctors, accountants, lawyers etc.)

I like giving service, so don't think I never do that. Yesterday Reagan and I both helped at a baby shower (which we were glad to do), did favors for a family member and Reagan picked up his small trailer so he can help people when they ask for it (which is a lot). It just gets to a certain point.

Sometimes people stop becoming real friends and turn into people who get along, but only call each other when they need a favor. Personally, I have been guilty of this myself in the past, but overall this has to stop. I don't mind helping a friend, or even someone who is an acquaintance and sometimes even a stranger (depending on the favor. I mean, I a not going to loan a stranger on the street my car or anything, but I might give them a ride if Reagan is with me.)

It's just, if you are going to be my friend, be my friend. Not someone who only cares to talk to me when it's convenient for you.

P.S.: I probably lost 300 of my Facebook friends just for saying this.

No comments:

Post a Comment