Sunday, June 2, 2013

Obsession blocks out reality

It's funny, I think sometimes our obsession over something can block out reality. It goes along with the concept that love can make us blind.

If you love someone, it is easy to ignore their faults, or not even notice they have them entirely. I think it is the same way to a certain extent with books and movies. If you love a story a lot, it is hard to notice how bad it can truly be. Example: Twilight. Of course, there are other awful stories and movies out there and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

In my case, I LOVE sentimental movies. If it makes me cry and get emotional at the end, to me the film is pure gold. Even, if it is an awful piece of work.

I will admit, I own all the Twilight movies, all the Harry Potter movies and Lord of the Rings movies. Why? Because I read all the books. I felt almost obligated to see and own all the movies. It's just like when I watch a t.v. series. If I liked the beginning of the series, I have to finish out the rest or die trying.

At a point in my life I was either obsessed or devoted time to those books or television shows, so I have to deem them worthwhile, even if they really aren't. Otherwise, I was just wasting my time.

I still get mad at Reagan when he tells me I don't sing as well as "Xtina" or Celine Dion. I may not, in his opinion and the opinion of most Americans, but I have devoted a lot of my life to working on my singing voice. I sang a lot at home, at church and my first audition was when I was 8 or so. Until I was 19 I had the dream of being a musical theatre performer. I still sing my son to sleep, sing at church on Sundays and have the sickening dream of being on some singing reality show.

I guess I want him to be 100 percent in my corner, which is why I get upset when he says I don't sing as well as a singing superstar. (When I know of course, that I don't.)

When you devote part of your life to something or you obsess over something for a chunk of your life, it is too difficult to admit that it might have been a waste of time. It also might be hard to admit that you are not as good at something as you hoped you would be.

In other words, obsession blocks your reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment