Saturday, April 12, 2014

My taboo topic: Gay Marriage

Today I am going to talk about something that a rarely, ever talk about. So folks, listen up.

I have always had strongly mixed feelings about the idea of gay marriage. But, if you want to know what I think, this will probably be one of the few times you'll hear it. After having a conversation with an extreme conservative this afternoon, I felt inspired to touch base on this topic.

I will admit that sometimes I waver on some areas of my faith, but in general, I am a Christian individual that believes that there is a God who made us to be heterosexual, not homosexual.

However, I don't think we should think anything negative about those who choose something other than that. If someone is attracted to the same sex, well then, that's their business and the government should not tell them that they can't be with the person they love. If the roles were reversed I wouldn't want someone to tell me I couldn't be with my husband because it was unnatural, a sin or a crime.

The bible, specifically Jesus Christ, taught that we should love one another and that everyone is our brother, or our sister. By that logic, Christians should be kind to EVERYONE, no matter their sexual orientation, their race, how much money they make or what they do for a living.

Now, I know a peaceful utopia is a dream that will never be realized in this world, but why for goodness sake do we need to make it harder on others, while using God's name as the reason? Didn't we learn anything from the crusades? From the religious persecution that so many Christians have endured from others because of their beliefs?

When I had a conversation with this extreme conservative today, he used the words "repulsive" and "disgusting," to describe the concept of a homosexual couple. That's the problem right there. No one should be considered truly repulsive or disgusting, just because of who they are. Even those who have committed a truly terrible crime (of which gay marriage is obviously not), I would never call that person repulsive. I think what they did is awful, but that doesn't mean that person is evil or a bad person.

This conversation also involved these "activists" who are "infringing their rights on the rest of us," through businesses being expected to serve gay couples etc. Let me just say, I don't think anyone is infringing anything on me, in any way. Also, the "rest of us," isn't a proper term to use either. Little by little the majority of people are becoming the minority.

A lot of Christians cite the fact that gay people don't often stay together and that they just sleep around. Another fact also cited tends to be that children should only have a mother and father.

I know a couple that defies both of these things, and in fact, everyday they are an inspiration to me. This couple has been together since the 60s, and they love each other very much and are married (whether it is recognized in Missouri or not.) They have adopted two kids. The kids are often taken to the movies, to plays, out to the park and out to do fun things with their dads.

This is a lot more than I can say for lots of heterosexual couples I know. The same concept applies now days as far as the sleeping around concept. Many couples don't stay together, they live together without marriage and some just sleep around with whoever without remorse, heterosexuals and homosexuals alike. So, I don't even see a difference between the two.

Also, I know a lot of parents who spend more time worried about themselves then they do their kids, so if a gay couple is going to raise kids and give them the attention they deserve and the care they need, I say go for it. A loving home is the most important thing. I rather have these foster kids etc. in a loving home than feeling abandoned, where there natural parents left them.

Now again, I don't believe that God created man to be with man or woman to be with woman, but it's not up to us to force our belief system on anyone. I won't refuse basic human decency to anyone, no matter their sexual orientation and I hope that soon, the rest of the world will come around to realizing that everyone in this world has great worth.

No comments:

Post a Comment