Wednesday, April 23, 2014

An academic year in review

At The Marshfield Mail  where I work as a contributing writer and as editor for SouthCountyMail.com , we rotate who writes the columns for the paper. This week I wrote about this academic school year, which has been a strain on the communities I cover, as well as on myself as a reporter. 

For those of you who don't live in Southern Webster County, let me give you a little insight in what has happened throughout this school year: 

- An FFA teacher and adviser in a very agricultural focused community, was charged with driving while intoxicated, killing a man when he passed over the median on a highway and for endangering his two daughters, both of which were in the car at the time. 

- Three administrators made the decision to resign, one for another job, and two because of "difference of opinion" with the board of education. 

- A flyer went viral on social media and at the high school building, implicating three students in participating in a "virgin surgin contest," planned to take place at the high school homecoming dance. According to officials, this was a case of bullying and not an actual planned event by these students who were singled out on the flyer. 

- A cross country coach died suddenly, leaving behind his academic bowl participants during the district and state competition season, his cross country kids who were preparing for summer camp, his wife and two kids as well as many friends and past students that admired him greatly. 

These have given me stories that have been highly read, but most of all these things have tested me beyond what I ever thought possible in my career. It's taught me a few things: 

1. Sometimes in this job you have to cover things you don't want to cover. 

2. We cover these types of stories not just because they are controversial, but because we want to help the community come to terms with something that has deeply affected them or something that worries them. 

3. Just when you get used to the job, something will happen that will throw you for a loop

4.  Not everything is what it seems. 

As so many others do, I feel that when the time comes that I can put this school year behind me and move on, it will be a very welcome door to close. A big difference from last year, when I literally cried at graduation. (Yeah people, laugh as much as you want. When my kid graduates I will be a total basket case.) 

I have been very grateful to so many compliments I have received lately from those communities. Each and every story I write, I try to think about how it will affect the person reading it, whether it's the person I write about, a parent, a student or an administration. I think about how it might be perceived and I know if it wasn't for the wonderful people in those communities, I would have run from responsibility a long time ago. 

It's scary putting something out there that people will criticize, but it's encouraging when you care about the community you cover and you know they care about you as an individual and as a news source too. 

So, next time you see a movie where a journalist is portrayed as an uncaring person who only looks at the bottom line, I expect you to yell and throw things at the television. I always do.  





No comments:

Post a Comment