Friday, March 14, 2014

No Coffee? What?

On a daily basis, I usually have more than one thing I consider blogging about. Today, I had to comment on this blog that I absolutely love about journalists who don't drink coffee. 

As someone who doesn't drink coffee, I can totally relate. I think there are lots of assumptions about journalists, including the fact that the are coffee fanatics. Some others might include that they don't care about the normal folks, but just getting their story; a lot of them are smokers and that they are all tough SOBs. Let me just say, not all those things apply to all journalists. Movies have painted an interesting picture of our field, usually, not a pleasant one.

I laughed out loud when this blogger shared that he "hid his non-addiction." The job I have now is a little non-traditional, so I don't know how I would act if I was in the office more. But, when I first started working as a journalist as an intern, I totally brought in hot chocolate in a tumbler, trying to pull off the look. Everyone else seemed to have their coffee, so why shouldn't I? I craved attention from other coworkers, desperately wanting to fit in.

I think the wanting to fit in part is natural for anyone in their first industry job and I am glad I had that time to grow and learn not to care so much. When I was in college, honestly, I didn't care about fitting in at my college paper and by the time I got to be an intern, I really cared a lot. But, now I hope I have evened out and care just the right amount :) During that time, while I tried to fit in, I learned that I didn't have to try so hard. All I had to be was myself.

Now, the soda journalist, that I can relate to. I have had three supervisors/bosses who hit the soda hard whether that be Mountain Dew or Dr. Pepper. I try to avoid that trap as well, but I can freely admit that a diet soda is a constant at my desk.

Now excuse me, I am going to go watch Michael Keaton in The Paper, because I have never seen it.

No comments:

Post a Comment