Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Dreams, easier dreamed than accomplished

Ever since I was a teenager, I have been interested in biographies, particularly autobiographies. It was probably odd when I was in high school, but now that I am getting older...it's maybe a little less odd, but maybe not. 
I think it goes back to my recent post about how intriguing people inspire me to stick to the journalism world. I just want to learn more about people and why they do what they do. 
Now, I generally don't care for political biographies etc., because to be honest, who wants to read about someone tooting their own horn or using their own story to get voters? Not me. I get enough of that during election times on the TV, radio and social media. I like to read about people who are pop culture icons for some reason. I like to see what they've accomplished in their personal lives', besides what we see on TV or in the movies. 
Lately, I have been reading "Talking As Fast As I Can," by Lauren Graham (Lorelei off of Gilmore Girls). She is hilarious! But, fundamentally, it makes me realize how similar people are. Sure, she has some stories that differ from my own, but deep down, she is someone who worked to get where she is today. That's what almost everyone does. 
She was an average teenage girl who went for her dreams. I think that's what sets your typical person and a lot of household names apart. They went for their dreams, and they didn't stop and that's what got them their "moment in the spotlight" or however you want to put it. We are all the same in many ways, but striving to meet our goals and making our dreams come true is what sets us apart from the rest. 
Not everyone can have their dream job, and I would be lying if I said they could. I mean, what child grows up dreaming they will work at McDonald's? (OK. That's a bad example, because kids might want to, but you get my point.) We need people to fix our dishwashers, take our trash to the dump, work in a butcher shop etc., but that may not have been their dream. So, I am glad in many ways for those who maybe give up their dreams to help serve others in various capacities.
However, we should never stop dreaming. There's always a dream to work towards, even if your dream changes with time. I plan to make most of my dreams come true, but if not, I am going to go down fighting :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment