Saturday, March 25, 2017

The itch for jaw-dropping intrigue

I've worked quite a few jobs in my young life, less than some, but more than others. Almost every time I worked at a basic customer service job, especially when I worked at Wally World, I would hear negative comments about customers. It was never done to their faces, and often done away from customers at all. It's just part of working in a customer service industry sadly. For whatever reason, a customer might be in a bad mood and they don't think about how they are treating the employee of the store. But, yes, some people are just jerks. 
My least favorite comment of all time, that I heard a lot of, was "I hate people." That's such a sordid blanket statement. I can understand feeling negative towards customers throughout the day, but people, in my opinion are the best part about living.
I think that's why I went into journalism, though now I choose to practice my field on my own terms and in my own time. If I don't want a job, I don't take it. It's a beautiful way of life. Many people tend to think "if you want to eat, you take a job....no matter how bad it is." I can do that for a time, but do a job you hate for too long and you'll end up miserable. Take it from me, I've done it. One job I kept for nine months. I know nine months sounds like very little time to most, but it was the longest job of my life. 
Through journalism, I have been able to explore the world that others live in. It's an unbelievable feeling to be able to see the world through another person's eyes. Among my favorite articles that come to mind, is the story of a cross country coach in Stockton and his friend who is a handy man. In their spare time, they trained and qualified for American Ninja Warrior.  The dedication these two have is amazing. In fact, I'd go as far as to say, that they were some of the many who inspired me to go on my current athletic journey. Seeing people excel, who have no intention of giving up no matter how hard it may be, is amazing. I get many opportunities to explore the "why" behind what people do and see what drives them, while asking more and more questions. 
Though to some, it might sound crazy, I think my pursuit of journalism in many ways can be selfless and selfish. It's selfless, because it's a service business. You write about the people for the people, or at least that's what you're supposed to do. But, it can be selfish, because sometimes, as a journalist, you just want to satisfy your own curiosity. 
Either way, I know being surprised often by people is something I love about life. Without different perspectives, goals, beliefs and choices....life just wouldn't be as beautiful. So, surprise me. I dare you. ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment