Thursday, November 12, 2015

When it comes to equality, complication is to be expected.

I'm ALL about equality. That said, this whole thing on the Mizzou campus is insane. That I think we can all agree on.
For the protesters side:
1. I have no idea what it's like to be in the African American minority. To say they are making it up or dramatizing in would be very presumptuous. Especially when the only thing I know about it, I've read on the news.
2. Many say these so called "incidents" probably never happened. I was a journalist once and still am at heart. I know how this works. Documentation may have existed once and disappeared, or it may never have existed at all on purpose, if Mizzou truly is a racist campus.
For the "this is based on lies" side:
1. Obviously the protesters haven't handled this the right way and many may have rushed to social media without being 100% sure on what they were posting.
2. It's not right that the president and maybe others will or have lost their jobs. They worked hard to get there. I don't believe one person's decisions can stamp out inequality (especially on a college campus.)
3. I am sure the campus has tried many things to battle racism and equality issues from diversity training, to more scholarships and job opportunities for African Americans, proud support of Michael Sam and allowing groups like the protesters to form on the MU campus.
4. The university cannot prevent all incidents. To believe it (or one person) can, is just insane. There are so many things that happen on a campus daily. There is no way the campus police or administration can find, report and battle them all.
*For those writing idiotic commentaries online:
Who cares if Johnathon Butler's dad is rich? That's the only detail I've seen. I haven't seen proof that this Eric Butler is his father. I haven't seen proof that he lived with his father and benefited from this man's money. I haven't seen anything demonstrating that he had every advantage.
Maybe his father didn't pay for his education. Maybe his dad doesn't pay for his healthcare. My parents have helped me a lot in the financial department. That said, they aren't rich, and they don't pay for all my expenses. They helped when I was in college, but I was a lucky one. I know many people whose parents say, "sorry kid you are on your own," or "I'm still going to raise my child without spending too much on them. They need to learn to work for everything themselves." (A good lesson to teach in my opinion.)
Even if he did have all these privileges, it doesn't mean he hasn't had to endure racism. That's the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

I could write a million things about this, but I think I'm done.

No comments:

Post a Comment