Sunday, June 28, 2015

The Best and Worst of Facebook: Gay Marriage

I held back on my Facebook posts the past couple days. Why? I was just so consumed with reading the thoughts of others.
I strongly believe real marriage is ordained of God and is between a man and a woman. I also feel very seriously about the separation of church and state. I believe people have this thing called free agency, which gives all people the right to choose to live the way they believe is right.
That said, if the government wants to recognize gay marriage, it's within the government's right to do so. America also has freedom of religion, so I also have the right to my own beliefs.
All in all, I am truly happy for those who are happier because of the Supreme Court's decision.
Here's what I took away from Facebook this week, the best and the worst posts.
Best: 
1. Posts about showing respect and compassion to all, regardless of their beliefs or opinions on gay marriage. Christ taught to love, so we must continue to show love to one another. (I had several people post things along those lines, but I can't seem to find them all now.)
2. "What a wonderful day. I know this ruling doesn't make everything perfect, and that there are still a great many good people in this country who disagree with the fact that I can now marry who my heart chooses and my head decides, but I'm trying to set that aside for the moment and let all the joy at how this ruling legitimizes my life and the lives of gay people all over this country dance through my veins. It's nice to feel legit." (a friend of a friend posted this and I think everyone should feel legit.)
3. I am about 100 percent sure Obama isn't going to revoke religious freedom. It would cause a civil war. However, it's still an interesting question about how churches will be treated in choosing whether to marry a gay couple or not. 
4. Comments about how the news today is often sad, but how the story of the Supreme Court ruling gives many hope.
5. The photo of an actual rainbow over Springfield the day after the Supreme Court's decision. No matter what you believe, coincidence or sign, it's still kind of cool.
Worst:
1. Conservative side: Keep your comments to yourself if you disagree with me. Liberal side: If you don't agree with the Supreme Court you can unfriend me. This just shows ignorance and intolerance of the beliefs and thoughts of others. It makes it pretty clear people posting these things don't want anything to do with anyone different than themselves. That's pretty sad.
2. The pastor who promised to set himself on fire if gay marriage passed. Because we all know he followed through with that...
3. People who are posting anything comparing gay marriage to love between humans and animals, cars and humans or other inanimate objects. It's worse than people acting like animals are people. Now you're comparing people to animals. That is inhumane and uncaring.
5. All the rainbow photos. Enough is enough. Turning your photo, or worse, making the White House look like a rainbow is ridiculous. Doing this for one day, maybe, but doing it for multiple is over the top.


No comments:

Post a Comment